Thursday, January 19, 2012

When buying a used car, how much can you haggle the price?

Lets say I want to buy a used car that is priced at 10k, whos fair kbb value is anywhere from 9k to 13k. Whats the lowest I could realistically offer for the car? 7k? 8k? I know it majorly depends on the seller and how badly they need to sell the car, but what do you think?When buying a used car, how much can you haggle the price?
Sometimes a lot, sometimes none.



When I sell cars (private seller), the price I list them at, IS the lowest I will accept.



It's similar to how Carmax does it. There's no haggling. No wondering if there's mark up. What you see, is what you get.



People come to me all the time, offering me less, but nothing about my ad says I'll negotiate. And why should I? It's my car, I can list it at whatever price I want. If you don't buy it, someone else will.



On the flip side, some people need to get rid of a car, and will negotiate a lot.



But the last thing you want to do is just assume everyone is in that position.



If the car KBB's at 9-13, and they're asking 10k...it's already directly in the middle of it's book value. Unless you're mentally handicapped, it makes no sense to offer 7k.



That's like owning a home that's worth 200,000, but I offer you 150,000, just because I feel like haggling. Absurd.



Realistically, you should talk to the owner, and ask them whether the price is negotiable or not.



Then, you will immediately know whether there's any grounds to make an offer, or not. Thus defeating the entire rest of your question.
I think you need to negotiate based on hard numbers. I would be willing to say that should you bring documentation from kbb as well as closed ebay motors postings, that you could have some substantiation to your argument. Keep in mind that every single used car is unique. The one you are looking at may be well maintained, have new tires, brakes, wipers, and certain upgrades that affect value.



Use good info, not opinion or heresy. Pay cash for your car, no financing or leasing or buy here pay here. Do it right or not at all.When buying a used car, how much can you haggle the price?
The Auto Trader is the leader in pricing used cars that sell. Ask your insurance company what they would pay out on the same car if it were stolen, you might be shocked. I had a car once that was stolen which Kelly Blue priced at $7000 tops. The insurance company says they don't use them they find the market value on their own around the area you live. I got $10500 for a car that I bought at a little used car dealership for $5300 that I drove over two years. Don't depend on winning that lottery!
If the Blue Book value is 9-13k and they are asking 10, that is the price. Remember, the seller knows the value too. I would be insulted by an offer of 7k. With 10k being on the low end of the Blue Book value, it will sell easily.When buying a used car, how much can you haggle the price?
Forget KBB - do your homework by looking at edmunds where they have prices and reliability info...it is "ammo" for purchasing a vehicle
Find out from your credit union what they consider the loan value is, and start 10-20% below there.... you can always go up, but never down....
9 k
kbb is a joke! Look at NADA for price info.
  • suzuki samurai
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment